Monday, June 26, 2006

Unrest

A bomb went off in the outskirts of Colombo today. It was about 10km from where I'm staying, and was an attack on an Army General. He was killed.

It's a funny thing, living here in Sri Lanka. All English news reports say that Sri Lanka is on the brink of civil war ... that Sri Lanka is "gripped" by the growing conflict of the past few weeks. Though we don't talk about the civil unrest at work. We still go to work. We still have brainstorming sessions on how best to advertise an insurance company here - we have a pitch on Friday, where we will compete with other agencies to win the brand. We still go to clubs. We still stay up late to watch football matches. We still watch Desperate Housewives.

Some things make you remember the violence. The checkpoints - soldiers with guns, watching who passes. Mostly they are there at night, and I have been stopped a number of times. Though it's not frightening ... I know that they are here to protect us. You smile and say good evening. They ask why you are in Sri Lanka, where you live, where you are going. You flash your passport, smile again, and they wave you on. And there are barricades too, restricting certain sections of the city. But if I'm honest, I have no desire to go beyond a point if danger lies ahead.

The explosions are getting closer. I said to my Mum earlier, and I will say it again ... I feel so strongly that to leave Sri Lanka would be to turn my back on all of those who have no choice but to stay.

I'm really not trying to be any sort of a martyr. But I've done nothing to deserve the privilege I have of being able to fly out whenever I want. Why me, not them? I've done no more than be born in a wealthy, Western country. And that wasn't through my doing.

Comments:
Oh Sam, you're scaring me slightly! I hope you stay safe. It's right you do have the privilege of flying out of there, but you also had the privilege of flying there. It's nothing to do with being born in Sri Lanka, it is the people who are doing this to Sri Lanka, and Western countries have their own equivalents that are the problem. I can't imagine how your parents feel, but anything they do say will be because they love you, and always listen to your parents, they are always right. Sorry if I sound err can't think of the word but you know what I mean. Lots of love xxx
 
Go to facebook NOW messages for you my dear which require responses lol. I so wish you were here, I need a major gossip session lol x
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]