Friday, July 14, 2006

On a mission

India does marriages with marriage match websites. Sri Lanka does marriages by looking to the stars.

The date, time and place of a person's birth are enough to find a host of suitors. "It's more than the horoscope - you still have to observe the men", says Aunty (Muditha's Mum). "But the horoscopes can help."

What rubbish, I thought. But I then spoke to Marsh, another 'Burnetter'. He studied for five years in England, so could fully understand my horror at the Sri Lankan system. He wasn't fully sure on it either, but did tell me one story that certainly made me wonder.

One of his best friends was certain that he wanted no help in finding his future wife. His mother, concerned at this decision, went to "the horoscope man" anyway. She found a girl. So perfect was this girl for her son that, upon meeting, they were destined to fall instantly in love.

"Right, Marsh! If only it was so easy. So what happened?"

"The mother arranged a dinner where they could 'accidentally' meet each other."

"Yes, and then?"

"They fell instantly in love, then got engaged and married."

Hmm. Muditha - equally sceptic - has also told me such stories of the accuracy of the horoscope people.

Hmm again.

Armed with the following information:

Date of birth: 5th September 1985
Time of birth: 12:30am
Place of birth: Sutton, England

I approached Aunty.

"Find me a husband, Aunty." She collapsed into squeals of laughter and happily took the piece of paper from me.

Let's see, shall we?!

Comments:
ooooh if the horoscope stuff works, you know who is next in the queue ;-) lol miss you! xxx listening to The Calling.....
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]