Monday, July 17, 2006

A train, some snorkelling, and a lot of sunburn

I got into full trainee mode last weekend and journeyed to Matara, down South. I was promised a beautiful beach and beautiful weather - which I got, but only after a four and a half hour train journey.

And what a funny journey it was! The trains here are comfortable - padded leather seats with a lot of space. The only issue I have is with their movement. Side to side, up and down, up and to the right, down and to the left. Up and down again. A fifteen minute stop at a station for no obvious reason. Forwards, then backwards, with mysterious revisits to places the train has already passed through. A sudden LURCH and you're on the move again (and awake from any kind of slumber). Then once more: side to side, up and down ... but no complaints from me. I paid just 78p for this journey.

It is the sellers that are the most amusing. They hop on the train when we stop, anxious to get rid of a few items before they must jump off again. So what's up for grabs? Magazines. Horns. Seafood. Peanuts. Apples. Singing concerts. Chicken. Flute playing. All in all, an amazing array of products and performances to add to the beautiful green scenery from the windows.

So what was there in Matara? A beach, first and foremost! I've never seen a shore with palm trees. Likewise, I've never jumped right into a sea without the shock of Britain's cold waters. We had so much time: to sunbathe, to buy ice creams, to just read and read and read.

On Sunday morning we went snorkelling. We saw coral reefs! Bright pinks and greens and yellows. Tropical fish. The sea was strong though - my poor instructor had to put his arm around me tightly, to stop me from being swept away. (He told me not to worry if this happened - the current would take me back to the shore. Comforting.)

I then spied some body boards at his restaurant. "Oooh!" I squealed - "Can we please go body boarding?" For those not in the know, body boarding is similar to surfing, except you catch the waves by lying on the board, not standing. I used to do it on family holidays and was thoroughly excited at the chance try it once more, and in such big waves.

Walking with the board under my arm, I felt like a real pro (yeah right). My arrogance was soon shattered when I reached the waves. So huge, and so powerful! I was rubbish at catching them. When I finally did, the men gave me a good shove to make sure I stayed at wave's front. Sooo fun, but sooo fast; I was frequently and repeatedly thrown from my board. And right into the sharp coral reefs.

My poor body is battered, scratched and bruised. And SUNBURNT. I must say that I look ridiculous. My legs are pasty white; my arms are a dark tan colour; my back is a deep and sore red; my arms are bruised; my legs are scratched and bitten; my hands are cut to shreds.

The joys of the Sri Lankan sea!

Comments:
Be careful out there!!!

:)



Sam
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]