Monday, August 28, 2006

England

I've left Colombo.

I still believe that I don't deserve special treatment because of my nationality. So it might come as a surprise that, by the time you read this, I'll already be home in England.

I'm sitting on the plane, this page full of crossed our scribble already. It's difficult to put into words what I'm wanting to say.

The situation deteriorated while I was in India. I spoke to a number of Sri Lankans during my time in Colombo, and many said that, if they had the choice, they would leave. The thing is, I don't believe it's right that I have options and they do not. But ... my not taking those options does not magically empower Sri Lankans. Though I wish it could, somehow.

I started to get scared. Not so much about dying, as hard as that may be to believe, but about some life changing injury that would completely alter the paths I could tread. You see, Sri Lanka, for me, was about personal development. I learnt so much from so many people - about health, discipline, dedication, respect, fun, and patience. But opening my mind only served to make me realise how much more I have to learn - and how much I want to go on learning.

But this does not change how I feel about Sri Lanka - and, more definitively, Sri Lankans. I sincerely admire these people. I admire their tenacity, grit and determination to not let the LTTE take everything from them. From all that I saw and heard, it seems truly woven into the Sri Lankan spirit that to stop their lives for mourning would be to signal defeat. By no means is this a heartless attitude - they pray daily, thanking whomever they believe to be watching over them for their immense fortune in still being alive. But what is life for, if not to be lived? They take every chance to live fully, and for this they should and must be applauded. For this I will remember Sri Lankans.

And for so much else, too! Sri Lanka, Sri Lanka. What does she mean to me. Rows and rows of palm trees. Lush green colours, everywhere. Dangerous driving, and no seatbelts! Endless all night partying. Buddhists, Christians, Muslims and Hindus all working and living together in the capital. Checkpoints. Poya - the monthly one day holiday to recharge your batteries and celebrate the full moon. (Mr. Blair, I hope you're reading.)

Beautiful beaches and warm seas. Beautiful weather. Odel, the one and only haven of a department store. World cup football matches in Cheers pub. Colombo's love for all things gossip. Breezy, carefree attitudes. (Their most frequented saying being "what to do?" - translated, this means "why complain, when nothing can be done?" A wonderful phrase to remember.)

Hot Milo, a scrumptious chocolate malt drink. (I was thoroughly disheartened when I found out it was made by Nestle. Let's just pretend it was a local delicacy.) 5am dinner in Pilawoos. Dancing in the street. SALSA. Journeying to work with Muditha, talking about all things girly. That sexy singer at Tantra. Terrible music remixes! Pestering tuk-tuk drivers. Smiling faces, and warm hearts.

And what am I looking forward to? Food stuffs with nutrition information in ENGLISH. Home cooked meals. Aerobics classes. Being able to share my 21st birthday with everybody who I love. (A little) free time to do NOTHING! Relaxed studying sessions. Saved money. New clothes. Digital weighing scales! Low fat hot chocolate! Compiling a Sri Lanka photo album. Cereal, and NON-POWDERED COLD milk! My bass speakers. Tesco. My FLAT bed (my Sri Lankan one was decidedly dipped). Arranging and displaying the plethora of souvenirs that I somehow fit into my suitcase. Eve magazine. My friends. My family.

Ok, over and out. "Time to London" is showing at 0:49 (thank goodness it no longer says 9:50!). I'm coming home, I'm coming home. I'm coming homeee.

Your loyal readership and kind comments have, once again, truly enriched my experience. Thank you so much. Be assured that for as long as you read, I will write.

Much love to everybody.

Sam xx

Comments:
When did I miss you most? When our favourite chef came on the TV - it just wasn't the same!!!!

Real good to have you back again 'lady in pink'...

Mum xx
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]