Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Partying, partying ... oh, and a little bit more partying

I've fallen into a really great bunch of people here. High on energy and life, they are fabulous dancers who party until dawn. They promise to return me home as a little salsa queen (no complaints there).

I met them quite randomly. Julia, another LB intern (though one who has just left), knew one of them through the person she was staying with. We then bumped into him at that simply wonderful English pub: Cheers. (It really is wonderful: think chip butties and sticky toffee puddings.)

His name is Shohan, and I had barely said hi before talk of the petrol strikes began. Julia and I complained of having to limit our night to the club next door, as we could only trust the hotels to have cabs available - the strike meant that we had already wasted two hours waiting to get to the centre. Without question, and within two minutes of meeting me, he said not to worry about the cabs - he'd drop us to wherever we wanted to go.

And that was it. Complete acceptance, no questions asked. He introduced me to the rest of "the gang" as "the one we've adopted for two months". There are so many of them, their names all beginning with Sh ... I got so confused, I renamed them all "HEY, how are you!". (Far easier.)

The night at Cheers was last Wednesday. We then club hopped to three places: Onyx, H2O, RnB. Too shy to dance on an empty dance floor, I told him to wait until my drink had started to work its magic. He laughed, and promised that after a week of partying with him, I'd be the first one up. (I think he might just be right.)

We got back at 4am. I got up at 7am. (They told me to get by on 3 hours by taking a half hour nap the following evening - to re-energise myself before going out again!)

On Thursday, we salsa danced the night away at Bistro, finishing in the AC haven of Clancy's. We then went to Pilawoos, a late night food place. Arch and I sat in the boot of the car, feeling the bass of the music vibrate through our every bone, watching the guys dance across the empty street.

On Friday, I went to Unawatuna with the AIESEC trainees. We partied until 7:30am. (We had breakfast, went to bed, then were at the sea by 11am.) On Saturday, we went to a beach party. We played drinking games (I told far too much in "two truths and a lie") ... danced and sat on the sand. We went to bed at 3am, then were up for breakfast at the beach by 9am.

On Sunday, I returned to Colombo, re-met with Shohan and the gang and listened to a live band at Tantra. (Fell in love with the lead singer's voice.) We then had dinner in Mount Lavinia, eating at tables ON the beach (sand underfoot!). I wandered out of the fenced area, onto the shore - to cries of "no Samantha, don't go alone!". I feel so taken care of.

We went on to Clancys ... left at 4am. On Monday, there was a private party, then RnB ... I got back at 5am, got up at 7am. Then went out to dinner that night. ;)

Shohan told me that yesterday must be my day of rest, for he wouldn't give me another night off for some time.

Feel like I've finally found my place.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]